Mindbook—Private & Local, yet Synced Second Brain
- Started in 2022
I've had this project in mind since 2012, after growing dissatisfied with the note-taking apps I was using. However, I didn't want to build it myself right away. I had been a heavy user of Evernote since 2009, but in 2021, I couldn't bear it any longer and started exploring other options. I tried nearly all of the existing note-taking apps but couldn't find the one I like. Consequently, in 2022, I began working on an alternative that is synced, collaborative, and private by default.
The way I've been describing Mindbook
Take notes, write essays, and build a second brain in Mindbook in ways that are...
- ⚡ Fast. Open pages and start writing in milliseconds
- 🤗 Local. Create, edit and search while you are offline or datacenters are on fire
- 🧘♀️ Calm. Use an elegant interface that doesn't distract, overwhelm or take advantage of you. No annoying pop-ups, marketing fluff or tricking anyone to subscribe
- 👯 Synced. Share and edit with others; read and write from multiple devices simultaneously. Pages save and update instantly, edit conflicts resolve by themselves
- 🔒 Private. No one but you and people you share with can see what you put in Mindbook because everything is end-to-end encrypted. Mindbook doesn't track you and doesn't need your name or email for you to be a user
- 🛠️ Mindbook is work in progress. It's going to be open-source with the client and server under the AGPL (copyleft) license.